July 10, 2006

Surprises and Concerns

I'm getting concerned that I'm going to make next-to-no money this summer. My hours are getting few and far between, and it seems like the summer is producing more bad weather than usual. I'm on call again. Considering that I was supposed to start at 11:30 and it's now 11:35, I'm not confident that I'll be working today. On-call lasts until 1:00 for both Erik and I. Erik is absolutely hating his job and is loving this on-call thing, but I need some money. I've already asked for at least 4 days of work (we hired another girl this year, so there's fewer hours for everyone), but I guess my boss is having some trouble fitting it in. There's been a few 4-day weeks though.

My dad ordered my laptop this morning and I was pretty surprised to hear that. He just bought him self this rather large plasma TV (don't get me wrong, that's exciting for me, too... video games and movies will be just amazing on that thing), and I assumed that my laptop would be delayed for the third time. He told me that he was only going to spend $800, but it turned out to be much more than that. He showed me the specs, and I'm excited because it'll be able to do a lot more than school work. It was really nice of him to spend so much more, and I'm feeling a little guilty that he's changed his mind on getting me to pay a small portion. Oh well, I'm greatful anyway.

The cancer centre has called twice now. Once for a concern about my mom taking antibiotics because the incision got infected a little, and once to talk about drug coverage. Both of the women were really nice on the phone, and weren't like telemarketers at all. I was kind of impressed. My mom went to work today and she's going again tomorrow. I think she really, really misses it. I'm so glad her boss is a great guy, too... he's taken her to several appointments and the initial scan that found the tumor. He's keeping her job safe for as long as it takes to get better.

No comments: